- grep tricks: grep files recursively, show only filenames where matching string was/wasn’t found.
- Did you know that:
- $ less <directory> — shows directory listing
- $ less <archive.zip> — shows archive content
- Teacher’s rumblings “Kids can’t use computers“. Agree to a T.
- Going back to iPhone [from Android]. Again having pretty much the same thoughts.
- Reddit: Lessons Learned From Mistakes Made Scaling To 1 Billion Pageviews A Month
- Start a Web Search in a GUI Browser from the Command Line on Mac OS X
- Screen recording to an animated GIF on Mac OS X
- How to know from a child process that its parent exited:
- a pipe between parent and a child, child gets SIGPIPE when parent exits
- if a child has not detached, PPID becomes 1 when parent exits
- Linux-specific: a child can ask kernel to deliver a signal when parent dies by specifying option PR_SET_PDEATHSIG in
- Two talks from YAC which I liked:
rpmdb locking issues, notorious on RHEL4/5, manifest as hanging rpm command. To see active locks:
# cd /var/lib/rpm; /usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb_stat -CA
Normally there should be no locks, given no rpm command is running. In case there are stale locks, just remove
- Learning second language later in life brings brain change
- Evolution: educating pupils (in Russian)
- Wonderful photos by National Geographic